Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Obla-di, Obla-da....

Officially 18 days till spring training, and less than that till TRUCK DAY. Hurrah, and huzzah, completely aware that these 2 and some odd weeks are going to pass like molasses in January ( or some similarly slow thing in February.) But every time "Dirty Water", "Sweet Caroline" or "Tessie" comes on iTunes, I get a little spiritual giddyup.

Let people try to tell me the 2006 Red Sox will suck, that they have no plan, that our offense has decreased too much and our pitching won't make up for it. Which, really, is not true in the first place, since I believe a) we will have a closer to 2004 form Schilling , and b) Joshua Josh Josh Beckett backing him up, and c) a much improved bullpen. That improvement in pitching will be able to compensate for the addition of Lowell and Alex Gonzalez in the infield, and Coco in the outfield. We will not have to bash people over the head to win games; we will have a team closer to the Midwestern Sox, which will be pretty cool.

And yes, I am aware the above can be easily proved to be full of crap, and this team could easily end up 81-81, people lined up on the Tobin. I won't be one of them. Not that I can promise not to go at times, completely bonkers.
But I vow to be guided, as always by the words of Danny Kaye: "They may be bums, but they're MY BUMS."
Love them through the good times, love them through the bad, love them through getting swept by the Devil Rays. (Though if that happens, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.)

There'll be a lotta new faces to get used to , but there were last year too. And will be in the next. It's almost time for baseball again, and nothing will deter me from my optimism.

Some quick hits:
-You know that post a month or two ago about changing the blog's name? Yeah, I was pretty much full of crap. I couldn't think of a better name, and people seem to like the old one, so this way it shall remain.
-Completely on instinct, I call Steelers by a touchdown in Le Bowl Excellente Quarante.
-Shocking Confession: I have a Guilty Pleasure Crush on Ben Roethlisberger. And it is only increased by the beard. I have a thing for scruffy facial hair.(Except on Jake Plummer, who is a dirty, dirty hippie.) ( I may have been one of the few turned on by Tommy's Mountain Man phase last year.)
- *ahem*
JOHNNY DAMON?
THE FANS IN BOSTON HAVE NOT , REPEAT NOT, LIKE, UNDERSTOOD OR FORGIVEN YOU GOING TO THE YANKEES.
IF YOU REALLY THINK THAT, YOU ARE LIVING IN A FANTASY WORLD. SCREW YOU.
AND YOU ARE, AT BEST, SKETCHY LOOKING WITHOUT THE BEARD.
THAT IS ALL.
-Is it me, or does Coco Crisp look slightly elven, in the non-Lord of The Rings, Orlando Cabrera type way? And I am already in love with the Nomaresque Crazy Bat Fingers thing he has going.

To finish up, New Kitty Blogging!
Meet Matilda, newest member of the NJ Homestead:
Image hosting by Photobucket