Friday, July 22, 2005

I *heart* One-Run Games

But mostly only when they go the way they did last night, with the Mannylito winning one for us, and Vladi Guerrero pinning a one-run loss on the Yankees.

As I get from the box score, Matty (again) did not have a very good night. Not horrible, but not vintage May-June Matty. Snap out of it! Or Tek will not give you any more cookies. ( Healthy oatmeal raisin cookies, of course.)

However, as I did not even dare hope, the lineup gave a good pitcher, in the shape of Mark "Dead-Eyed Russian Bond Movie Assassin" Buehrle, fits. I like when they do that. Gives them an air of badassity. ( Yes, I know that's not a word.) Especially when Edgah is in on the fun, going 3 for 4 with a walk.
Sidebar-Wouldn't it be fun to have a fight, and see Edgar get in there? Given how big he is, I bet he would be damned intimidating. Of course, even holding someone else back, he could be intimidating.

It's also getting a little less surreal to check the game in the 8th or 9th and see "C. Schilling pitching to..." Although there seemed to be two separate Curts last night; the one who blew the save in the 8th, and the one who sacked up and pitched a scoreless ninth. The two-inning experiment worked-sort of.

And then there was the Mannylito. ( I am very proud of my Celtic heritage, which is why I add extra articles to their names. Just as there can only be one head of clan, "the Bruce", there is only one Manny, or one Curt. So there.) I won't repeat what all have said about the foolishness of giving Manny an extra swing, but I will say this: wOOt!!!!

I also have only one thing to say about A-Rod, Matsui, and Giambi( twice) going yahd, and the Yankees losing anyway: ha-HA! That is what happens when you run into the force of nature known as Vladimir Guerrero. Ah, the suckiness of the front end of the Yankee bullpen.

To widening that 1.5 game division lead.... *Celtic battle cry*

****
Football is starting soon, but it will, sadly, be starting without a fixture and leader of the Pat's defensive unit, as Tedy Bruschi will sit out the 2005-2006 season.
And good for him.
His kids deserve to have him more than we do.
We'll miss you, Tedy.